Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tuesday's Overlooked Movies: The Cobbler

I tend to like most of Adam Sandler's movies (I know, that probably puts me in the minority here), but I'd never heard of THE COBBLER, which came out last year. I guess it didn't get much notice because it's not a typical Adam Sandler movie. For one thing, there's no sign of Kevin James or David Spade or Rob Schneider...

Anyway, in this comedy/drama/fantasy he plays Max Simkin, a shoe repairman in New York City who operates the same shop that his great-grandfather started more than a hundred years ago. Something else has come down to Max along with the shop: an antique stitching machine for putting shoes together. Then Max discovers that the stitching machine has another use: when he uses it to repair someone's shoes, then puts those shoes on, he takes on the appearance of the other person although he retains his own mind and personality.

Yeah, it's not the strongest gimmick in the world, but the filmmakers use it in some fairly interesting ways, including involving Max in a criminal conspiracy that puts him in danger from hired killers. The script is funny in places, the plot twists hold together okay, and the cast, which includes Dustin Hoffman, Steve Buscemi, and the fine character Fritz Weaver, is pretty good. THE COBBLER is a decent movie, not a great one by any means, and I didn't fall asleep once during it, which isn't bad for me these days.

8 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Always strange to learn of a Sandler which isn't a home movie.

Cap'n Bob said...

I guess a lot of people like Sandler's movies since he keeps making them, but I can't stand the guy.

Jeff Meyerson said...

You lost me at I tend to like most of Adam Sandler's movies.

I'm with the Cap'n on this.

Jeff M.

James Reasoner said...

I don't really believe in the concept of guilty pleasures, but Adam Sandler movies come close to being one for me.

Graham Powell said...

Fritz Weaver is still alive? He's looked old since at least the 70s.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Never found Sandler funny on Saturday Night Live or in his movies. Have to agre with Jeff and the Cap'n on this.

Todd Mason said...

I liked PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE and his work on UNDECLARED; I seem to recall 50 FIRST DATES was better than it's often credited with, but I often like Drew Barrymore's films...

Jeff Meyerson said...

Yes, Fritz Weaver is still alive at 89, Graham. Who knew? Not me.

Jeff M.