Saturday, September 10, 2011

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Complete Cowboy, Spring 1945

Here's another Western pulp I'd never heard of. The cover is by the prolific H.W. Scott, who did many covers for Street & Smith's WESTERN STORY and some for S&S's WILD WEST WEEKLY. There's a WILD WEST WEEKLY connection inside this issue, too, as the featured novel is "Disciples of the Trigger" (good title!), a Silver Kid yarn by T.W. Ford. The Silver Kid series began in WILD WEST WEEKLY and ran there for several years before moving over to various Columbia pulps after WILD WEST WEEKLY ceased publication. Ford was the epitome of the inconsistent pulp author, sometimes very good, sometimes hardly readable. Other authors in this issue are Lee Floren, Brett Austin (who was also Lee Floren), and Ray Vicker (who evidently wasn't Lee Floren, although I don't know if Ray Vicker was his real name).  I'm not a fan of Floren's work, but I'm always willing to give T.W. Ford a try, so I have a hunch this was an issue worth reading. But maybe not.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I know it's Saturday when I see your weekly cover.

Walker Martin said...

Yes, seeing your Saturday Morning Western Pulp means the weekend is here. I look forward to seeing the western title that you have choosen each Saturday.

Richard Prosch said...

Good post. I like your calling attention to the inconsistent pulp writer --they really add to the fun of seeking these things out!

Walker Martin said...

I just noticed on ebay that this issue is up for auction at a buy it now price of $15.00. There are alot of western pulps listed, many of them at reasonable prices.