Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Giant Western, August 1948

Think there are enough guns on this cover? I count seven six-shooters, and most of 'em are blazing.  And inside there's a good line-up of authors: William Hopson (a little inconsistent but often very, very good), A. Leslie (who was really Leslie Scott of Jim Hatfield and Walt Slade fame), Dwight V. Swain (a veteran pulpster who wrote a little of everything and lived long enough for me to meet him at a WWA convention), Fred Gipson (who went on to write OLD YELLER), and numerous others. Looks like a good issue to me.

6 comments:

Walker Martin said...

This is a great and suitable cover for a pulp named GIANT WESTERN! I had to smile when I saw all the guns blazing away.

I met Dwight V. Swain also when he was a guest at a long ago Pulpcon. Nice guy and three of us organized the Dwight V. Swain Fan Club. No one else ever joined however...

Jerry House said...

Walker, you could send me an application to the Swain Fan Club anytime. Not onnly was he a great pulpster and a member of the Oklahoma Writer's Hall of Fame, but his books on writing were top-notch.

Cap'n Bob said...

I see eight guns. That tiny figure in the background looks to be fogging away, too. Or maybe I'm just seeing things.

James Reasoner said...

Cap'n,
You're right! I think there's a guy hiding behind the corner of a building who's shooting, too. So that makes nine guns. That may be a record.

Walker Martin said...

Good Grief! You are right. I just clicked on the cover image and enlarged it. THERE ARE 9 GUNS blazing away, which makes this the most violent pulp western ever.

No wonder the pulps soon went out of business, due to the outraged communities that demanded that they cease publication...

Cap'n Bob said...

I just did a recount before reading these responses and found 9 guns, too. I'm sure there are a few hideaways, too.