Monday, September 20, 2010

Killers

This movie was pretty much universally reviled by critics and audiences alike, but I dunno . . . I liked it. (I’ll bet you saw that coming.) Now, I’ll admit, if you look up “far-fetched” in the dictionary, you’ll probably find the poster for KILLERS. The premise is that Ashton Kutcher is a professional assassin working for a shadowy government agency, but he retires when he meets and falls in love with a beautiful computer programmer played by Katherine Heigl. Jump ahead three years and Kutcher’s character is a successful building contractor, Heigl’s doing well in her career, and they’re just a typical happy suburban couple. Then people start coming out of the woodwork trying to kill Kutcher, and the two of them have to go on the run. Much fighting, shooting, and assorted chaos ensues. Stuff Blows Up Real Good. Eventually, of course, everything gets sorted out.


Yes, this is a slick, Hollywood action comedy, and the plot winds up being pretty weak even by the standards of that genre. But Kutcher always comes across as a fundamentally decent guy, and he handles the action hero stuff pretty well, too. Heigl’s incredibly good-looking. The supporting cast includes Tom Selleck and Catherine O’Hara, both good as always, although I ask you, what sort of self-respecting shadowy government agency would have Martin Mull as one of its agents?


KILLERS falls squarely in the category of mindless entertainment, but for a couple of hours, I was definitely entertained. That’s good enough for me.

4 comments:

Evan Lewis said...

Just the sort of thing to get later from the library. A mindless escape from mindless network shows.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And it's that kind of spirit that makes a Monday morning go better. Almost in two accidents before I arrived at work.

Steve Oerkfitz said...

Saw this as a freebie advanced screening. All 4 of us left 30 minutes in. In fact quite a few people in the audience had already left. I just found this terrible on all levels.

Caine said...

Just about the time I started thinking: "Why have all these sleeper agents been waiting a whole 3 years" Tom Selleck walks in with the magnum in his hand ***Grinning***.

I was sold and hooked. I enjoyed it.