Thursday, December 04, 2008

New-to-Me Authors

Nobody tagged me with this meme that’s going around, but I’m going to take part in it anyway. Here are the authors I’ve read for the first time this year:

David Jack Bell, THE CONDEMNED
Dean Ballenger, GANNON #1: BLOOD FOR BREAKFAST
Michael Chabon, GENTLEMEN OF THE ROAD (no, I haven’t read KAVALIER & CLAY, but I’ll get to it sooner or later)
Christa Faust, MONEY SHOT
Neil Albert, THE JANUARY CORPSE
James Rollins, SANDSTORM
Mat Johnson, INCOGNEGRO
Harlan Coben, THE WOODS (followed by several others by him)
Charles Bukowski, FACTOTUM
Ross Laurence, THE FAST BUCK (evidently his only novel)
Robert Novak, CLIMB A BROKEN LADDER
Simon Oliver, THE EXTERMINATORS: BUG BROTHERS
Charles N. Heckelmann, RIVER QUEEN
Graham McNeill, WARHAMMER 40,000: THE KILLING GROUND
Edward Lee, THE BACKWOODS (reading this one now, comments in a day or two)

Not an extensive list, but I’d read more by anybody on there.

6 comments:

kc heath said...

Wow! You sound like an avid reader like me.

I stumbled onto your blog looking for a blog by Kerry Newcomb, and read your posting from June on Ghosts of Elkhorn.

I just read my first Newcomb book and am an instant fan.

I've yet to read your profile, though. Will do it when I'm through here.

Nice to meet you:)

David Cranmer said...

I forgot to add Christa Faust to my list. Money Shot is a darn good read and one of the best I've read this year.

James Reasoner said...

K.C.,

Glad you found the blog, and I hope you enjoy visiting it often. Kerry is an old friend of mine. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a blog or a website. Maybe I should try to nudge him into blogging, though. He writes wonderful emails, and I'm sure his blog posts would be great.

David,

MONEY SHOT is going on my year-end top ten list for sure.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I wish you'd read Cavalier and Klay because I keep thinking about getting it as a present for my husband. Men seem to really like it.

Anonymous said...

New to me this year was A. Lee Martinez. First with "In the Company of Ogres" followed by "Gil's All-Fright Diner." Two further books have appeared -- trade paperbacks -- so I'm waiting for a mass market edition before reading them.

His stories are a lot like Terry Pratchet's, using comedy to cover over the fact that he's really writing a pretty grim story.

And he's a Texan, so of course, you must be neighbors... :-)

kc heath said...

James:

I'm just learning this blogging business myself, since my first novel is going to be released soon, though I get so dizzy with this Internet stuff *g* I hadn't bookmarked yours and had to come find it again --LOL

I just got me a couple more Newcomb books from Amazon--and can't wait to get off work so I can get back into the one I'm currently reading :)

I read a lot too, and have comments on those books over on my blog: Reviews by KC. I think if you click on my blogger ID, it should give you a link over...I think that's how it works. ha!

I'd LOVE to chat with Kerry if you ever want to pass my ID along to him :) and, thanks.