Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

I liked the first Hellboy movie, and I’ve read and enjoyed several of the graphic novels by Mike Mignola, so it’s no surprise that I’d watch the second movie and like it, too. It strikes me as being a little sillier than the first one, which is not necessarily a bad thing. No need to talk much about the plot: an elf prince wants to reclaim the pieces of an ancient crown that will give him control over an invincible army of golden robot warriors. Hellboy and his girlfriend and buddies from the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense try to stop him. CGI runs rampant. Stuff blows up real good. A couple of monsters sit around and croon along with a Barry Manilow song. Apocalypse threatens. That’s enough to tell you whether or not you’d like this movie. I loved it. Things are set up for a third movie in the series, and I hope it comes about.

2 comments:

Ray said...

This is one of my sons Christmas present.
I did see number 1 - and enjoyed it.
The only problem with the movies is that after educating both sons to read the graphic novels - they prefer the movies.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Loved the comics but never seen the movies - to be honest I've never really been satisfied with any of the super hero movies.Only Sin City and maybe Dark Knight have ever truly captured the comic book spirit for me. I may check these films out though as it seems I'm missing something.