Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Double Nickel Hoopla

Sounds like a book title, doesn’t it? In this case, though, it refers to the fact that I turned 55 today, which means I can now legitimately get the senior citizen discount that retail clerks and restaurant cashiers have been giving me for several years without asking.

In the birthday present department, this year was largely about replacing stuff that was lost in the fire, like my iPod and THE BLACK LIZARD BIG BOOK OF PULPS and a GET FUZZY collection and assorted CDs and DVDs, plus some that I didn’t have before, like the soundtrack CD from THE COMANCHEROS, which is playing as I type these words. Great stuff, in other words. Simply put, it was a fine birthday . . . even though I don’t feel 55, no how, no way.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, James! I wish I were 55 again. You're a mere pup.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reaching that wonderful milestone. And the BIG BOOK OF PULP STORIES (or whatever the actual title is) is a great gift! Enjoy! Now get back to writing.

James Reasoner said...

I actually took the day off from writing, but I'll be right back at it first thing in the morning. I really need to get on a good run . . .

Todd Mason said...

Happy, happy, sir...Double Nickels on a Dime. A DIME DETECTIVE or a DIME WESTERN, preferably both, in this case.

Charles Gramlich said...

Happy birthday. Sounds like you had a good day.

Randy Johnson said...

Happy Birthday, James! I've got you by three years(come October, it will be four).

madshadows said...

A belated happy birthday James, sounds like you had a fun day and hey your only as old as the woman you feel LOL ;P

All the best

John

David Jack Bell said...

Happy Birthday, James. I hope you had a good one.

Cap'n Bob said...

Happy Birthday, James, and many returns of the day.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birth day James

Nice to see another crime loving Get Fuzzy fan out there

Anonymous said...

MY god, I'm OLDER than you! That males me feel...old-er. (I'm 58). And liek you I don't feel old. I frequently feel weak and breathless but that's because I don't get enough exercise.

Speaking of double-nickels. There was a pair of short-lived "Nickel" pulps, Nickel Detective and Nickel Western, They appeared in 1933, the worst of the Depression, trying to find people who couldn't afford ten cents for a magazine. A couple of those would make a cool double nickel birthday gift.

Beb