Friday, March 30, 2007

Everybody Talks About the Weather . . .

. . . and I'm no exception. We've lived here for almost 29 years, and in all that time I've never seen the road in front of our house flooded -- until today. I had to run some errands this evening. It had already rained a lot the past few days, leaving the ground saturated, but while I was out I got delayed and a new downpour moved in, so that by the time I headed for home I didn't know if I'd be able to get there or not. Obviously I did, but as I told Livia later, if it hadn't been raining so hard and I could have see where I was going, I might have thought twice about driving through some of the places I drove through. I'm only half-joking, too. But I know the roads around here really well, having driven them for so long, and I was able to get through all right. I would have been a little more comfortable in a big pickup, though, rather than a midsize car. Anyway, the rain is supposed to be coming to an end later tonight and we'll dry out this weekend.

4 comments:

Graham Powell said...

Near my house in Fort Worth the road takes a big dip to go under a railroad bridge. My wife and I were on our way home from dinner last night and found the road closed.

I haven't seen it rain like this since I left Louisiana.

mybillcrider said...

Does this mean the drought has broken?

James Reasoner said...

I wouldn't count on it. Now that it's stopped raining, it may not start again for another month or two. But at least all the lakes are about full again.

Cap'n Bob said...

I live on the top of a hill, so the rain doesn't bother me unless I head for the low places.