Monday, November 27, 2006

Jury Duty

I had to go to jury duty this morning, for the fourth or fifth time in my life. The only time I ever actually got put on a jury, the case lasted less than five minutes. The judge threw it out first thing because of some procedural error by the prosecution. Today, even though I got there early, the small lobby in the courthouse where we had to wait was already packed, with no place to sit and not nearly enough ventilation. So we stood there waiting for more than an hour and a half before being called in and told we could go home because all the cases on the docket had been pled out at the last minute. I was glad not to get put on a jury for a case that could last days or even weeks -- my writing schedule doesn't have that kind of leeway in it -- but at the same time I was frustrated to have spent that time for nothing. I also found myself thinking that if I was on trial for a major crime -- or even a minor one -- I'm not sure I'd want my fate in the hands of twelve bored, uncomfortable, and annoyed people.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only sat on one actual trial, but it was a horrific one, a case of shaken baby syndrome. We found the defendent, the child's father, guilty, and I hope I never have such an experience again.

James Reasoner said...

I think I'd feel the same way under those circumstances.

Cap'n Bob said...

I love jury duty and if I could I'd volunteer for it. The first time I was called I was on two cases in one week. The next time I got one case and spent a lot of time cooling my heels in the jory pool room. The third and last time I never even had to go in.
Why do I love jury duty so much? It beats going to my day job.

Cap'n Bob said...

You remember Jory Pool, don't you? Dang me for not proofreading, I meant jury pool of course.

James Reasoner said...

Jory Pool, the famous gunfighter? Sure I remember him. In fact, I think you can count on him showing up in my next book.

Frank Denton said...

It's worse being on a federal jury. I was called for federal jury duty once. But you are on call for six months. You turn up for jury selection and are either sent home or chosen for a jury. If you are sent home you wait for another call. I served on two juries, both quite interesting. One for the theft of a low-boy trailer and one for the manufacture and sale of silencers. Of course, the defendent claimed they were surge suppressors. Same thing, eh? Anyway, I felt like Bob. Better than going to work.