Monday, August 07, 2006

Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse/Lee Goldberg

Thank goodness for Lee Goldberg. I was in one of my all-too-frequent reading funks, starting books and then putting them back on the shelves because I couldn't get interested in them, when Livia suggested that I read Lee's first Monk novel. She's reading the second one now, having read the first one several months ago when it first came out. As usual, I'm slower about getting around to things.

MONK is maybe my favorite current TV series. MR. MONK GOES TO THE FIREHOUSE does a fine job of capturing the same things that make the TV show so appealing: the twisty plots, the colorful characters, the laugh-out-loud humor. While the plot in this novel is entertaining, its real strong point is the way Lee has nailed the voices of the characters, especially Monk. My funk was forgotten as I raced through this book and had a great time reading it.

(I would have posted a cover scan, but for some reason Blogger won't let me do that tonight.)

2 comments:

Lee Goldberg said...

Thanks, Jim! I'm glad I was able to get you out of your funk...especially considering all the hell you've been through with your eye.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that one a lot, but I think his second book in the series, Mr. Monk goes to Hawaii, is even better. I am looking forward to the third one.

Danny