Saturday, March 18, 2006

SF List Again

I thought I might as well go ahead and reveal which books I've read from the list mentioned in the previous post, along with their rankings on that list.

1. CHILDHOOD'S END, Arthur C. Clarke
2. FOUNDATION, Isaac Asimov
3. DUNE, Frank Herbert
5. STARSHIP TROOPERS, Robert A. Heinlein
9. THE SPACE MERCHANTS, C.M. Kornbluth and Fredrick Pohl
15. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, Arthur C. Clarke
16. RINGWORLD, Larry Niven
23. THE GODS THEMSELVES, Isaac Asimov
27. THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, H.G. Wells
28. 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, Jules Verne
31. THE STARS MY DESTINATION, Alfred Bester
34. ENDER'S GAME, Orson Scott Card
36. LORD OF LIGHT, Roger Zelazny
46. I, ROBOT, Isaac Asimov
51. 1984, George Orwell
55. CITIES IN FLIGHT, James Blish
59. STAND ON ZANZIBAR, John Brunner
61. FAHRENHEIT 451, Ray Bradbury
63. FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON, Daniel Keyes
73. THE PUPPET MASTERS, Robert A. Heinlein
75. THE FOREVER WAR, Joe Haldeman
76. DEATHBIRD STORIES, Harlan Ellison
79. THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, Ray Bradbury
98. THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, Michael Crichton
100. A PRINCESS OF MARS, Edgar Rice Burroughs

I see that I miscounted in my earlier post. That's 25 books, a fourth of the list. And the newest one is, what, nearly 30 years old? I guess that says something about me. Out of all the ones I've read, the one that probably influenced me the most is A PRINCESS OF MARS. I really loved that series when I was about 12 years old. I still read a Burroughs novel from time to time, and I always enjoy them.

1 comment:

mybillcrider said...

Interesting list. I see at least two on there that I've tried to read and never been able to finish.