Wednesday, April 20, 2005

A Welcome Discovery

I had to go to Dallas this afternoon, so I was only able to work for a while this morning, but while editing yesterday's pages, I was relieved to find that they weren't all utter crap, after all. Sure, they needed some work -- I moved some stuff around and did some rewriting here and there -- but that's common. It's also pretty common for me not to like what I'm writing while I'm writing it, but when I go back to it in a day or two, it's not so bad after all. I suspect most writers go through the same thing.

Then there are the rare occasions when I'm writing along and have to stop and reread what I just wrote, and I think to myself, Dang, that's a good line! Makes it worthwhile. (Well, that and the equally rare occasion when I get paid . . .)

No comments: