Monday, August 02, 2004

Hellboy

We watched the DVD of HELLBOY, which I liked quite a bit, though perhaps not quite as much as I'd hoped to. I've never read the comic books by Mike Mignola, so I can't say if the movie was an accurate adaptation or not, but it certainly had a nice comic book feeling to it. One thing that annoys me in CGI-heavy movies is that often some of the effects seem to be in the movie for no other reason than that they'll look cool in the video game version. That only happens a couple of times in HELLBOY. Ron Perlman was excellent as the title character. The exposition could have been a little clearer. There were a few times I wasn't sure what was going on. But all in all, I had a really good time watching this one.

It was over 100 degrees again today, and the pollution was a little worse. I just came in from going for a walk with the dog, and the air smelled like an electrical short. I don't like it when that happens, but other than moving, I don't know what I can do about it. And I can't move. I have too many books and other stuff.

26 pages today finished the current book, which is #166 overall. (More of my numbers obsession coming out.) I need to do some revisions on another project tomorrow, then get the next Western started. I realized earlier today that I had turned in some research books to the wrong library (don't you hate it when that happens?), so I have to try to retrieve them tomorrow, too.

I've been reading some pulp stories today, too, including an excellent H. Bedford-Jones novelette called "Up the China Sea", from a 1923 issue of ADVENTURE. I'll probably start reading another novel later tonight but not sure yet what it'll be. Maybe the second Harry Bosch book by Michael Connelly. I hope it won't take me three tries to get that one read.

I like this bigger font, and it showed up on the website without any trouble.

2 comments:

James Reasoner said...

Except today it didn't. Arrgghh!

Unknown said...

Yeah, but the font showed up yesterday, so you're 1 for 2.

I liked HELLBOY a lot, though I never read the comics, either. Maybe that's why I liked it. Ron Perlman was perfect for the role, and I hope there's going to be a sequel.